Friday, August 13, 2021

The Road Trip

     I am late by about 15 minutes. As soon as I reach the parking lot of Lucky’s at San Ramon and after I park my car, I hurriedly step out toward the store. A honk from back makes me turn my head toward that direction.  Then I  see MaryLou, my friend waving her hand.              “Sorry I am late, the cleaners just left. “              She smiles and says, “hop in.”             “Where do you want to go, Walnut Creek is okay?”             “Oh that will be fun.”I say             MaryLou in her sixty’s looks very healthy and active. As she exits the parking lot she turns toward the San Ramon Blvd which runs parallel to the north bound Freeway 680. I am surprised. She usually takes the Freeway on previous occasions. Half way through the drive the Freeway vanishes from our view.             I have never taken this road trip before. I am mesmerized by its scenic beauty as both  sides of  road are covered with varieties of trees and shrubs. I see rows of  Oleander flower in vigorous blooms – red, pink. white. Slender pine trees in rows adorn some parts of the road.  At some  areas  maple trees substitute the pine trees. While I couldn’t turn my eyes away from this meticulously planted trees and shrubs and trying to figure out which kind of shrubs and trees, my friend chatters with one hand moving in the air while her left hand maneuvers the steering. I am ready to listen and she loves to talk that is the reason I guess why we are good friends. Now I see rows of Italian and Leyland cypress adorn some of the huge bungalows which one can only peep through in between the trees.  Red, pink, yellow, and white roses bloom on the spacious front yards of the huge custom made house- this one particular place is embedded in my memory always.             I am already ecstatic passing through this scenic road.  But when I reach Down town area  it is another story. I am amazed to see the streets and the shops just like that of the city of San Francisco ’s Civic center.  I have passed through the South Main street in Walnut Creek many times before but never have had a chance to walk on the streets of this down town area. I fancy it now as mini San Francisco .            After walking for sometime we enter Barns and Noble which is double the size of the one in Pleasanton . We look in the poetry section, find a book about on sound and sense. It looks quite a good book to read for ideas of writing poetry..  MaryLou takes it to find out the price, but she  comes back with a sullen face. “ Can you imagine the price? It costs about $ 110 plus tax.” “It must be recommended for text book for poetry student.” I respond.  So we put back the book on the shelf and come out after she buys one poetry book which she likes..             It is now time for lunch but her daughter just informs her that she wants to join us. We walk again and Container Store comes in view. Since Maya has to drive from Dublin to this place it is going to take  her some time. So we get inside the store.  I get some knick knacks I see which I can take to India in September as gifts. MaryLou saw some things for her house but  she changes her mind.  We both are done with shopping and head toward Nordstrom for lunch.  I find myself losing my camera case. I am not sure where I left and fumble inside my bag but nowhere I find it. I feel lucky at least my camera is in my hand. We are at Nordstrom’s  cafeteria  and sit at the corner where four people can sit comfortably.
“Shall we share a dish” I ask her. “I am sharing with my daughter” she says.             So I order a big Clam chowder soup while she orders a Turkey sandwich and salad. Maya  comes in and asks her mom what she has ordered. She is not happy and takes her mom’s credit card and goes to order another Tomato soup and chicken sandwich. She just jeopardizes her mom’s trial to save some money.             After lunch we come out to walk around a bit while Maya hands over her left over food to her mom to carry home.             “I am going to a shop where I already saw a piece of earring I like.” Maya tells her mom. MaryLou reluctantly holding the packet we both walk for sometime again toward another direction and finally come back to the shop where her daughter is supposed to be shopping.. We also go inside and I didn’t find anything particular and we now feel it is time to go back home.  I keep my eyes open and capture the pristine view of this newly discovered and road  and at the same time enjoying the drive back home.             We reach the place where I left my car. As the sun sets  I see the sky  red and gold.  One flock of birds flies cutting through the colorful sky. I look up in awe. "it is so beautiful." MaryLow breaks into a smile when she sees my excitement emerging all over my face.  

No comments:

Post a Comment