Wednesday, January 20, 2021

My Days before Covid19 and After

My Days Before Covid19 and After. Written by Jamuna Advani A dim light of excitement dancing inside my head for the last few months was about to end by March 2020. The upcoming cruise with princess was booked well ahead of time. My friend in LA and I had planned it together and had been looking forward to it. The cruise was for 7 days with Sky Princess starting from Fort Lauderdale to Princess Cays island, ST Thomas, St Martin and then back to Fort Lauderdale. We were happy that Princess Cruise had given us Medallion Class, hence we could update everything needed for it so that our voyage was offered with new level of service, personalized attention, creating an effortless experience. Some of the shore excursions were booked and some other we decided to do on the spot. Since it was my fourth one with Princess my status would be upgraded like free internet access. During Mexican Riviera in December 2015 I came across an elderly lady who had an oxygen tank with her, and she proudly mentioned that she had been with the Princess 33 times. May be some of the seniors preferred to spend their days in the ship as they enjoyed all the facilities during the cruise. My flight was booked from San Francisco to Miami and then take a taxi to Fort Lauderdale. As my friend would be flying from LA to Miami we planned to meet at Fort Lauderdale on March 7 before boarding. Then the most unexpected and disheartening news flashed on February 4th. The news of major outbreak on board of the Diamond Princess infecting about 700 people and 14 people dead was a shocking one. Still hoping for the best I started packing, planning for formal wear during dinner as well as for daily use including shore excursions. Our plan was for 9 days including the air travel. Everything changed on March 5th, as my daughter was concerned about Covid19, suggested that we better canceled the cruise. After thinking over reluctantly I called my friend in LA to inform her about the grim situation. She also felt the same, we decided our long awaited trip to keep on hold. Finally, we called Princess to cancel our booking and we were given credit till end of 2021. Along with this we had another trip planned for Ireland in October 2020 and luckily the company Gate 1 cancelled the tour and we were given choice to cancel or keep credit. We still have booking for Ireland during May 2021. But the uncertainty lingers on until the pandemic is over and Gate 1 resumes its tour. Since locked down and stay at home already announced, we are now confined ourselves at home. Keeping myself busy in the house, helping my daughter with household work ( I live with my daughter) and backyard gardening are my chosen physical activities. Walking with my daughter around our creek before she starts her work is also my daily routine. As the sun peeps through the hills heading toward the blue sky I imagine a future of normal life coming soon. Most of the time we come across turkeys in group running when they see us and also fighting month themselves. We can’t help but stand to watching them fight or male ones dancing. It is also interesting sight when some deer coming out of the creek as if they are taking advantage of the quiet road. Now that people are confined at home due to work from home hardly we find cars on the road. For me now reading books (fiction and nonfiction ) keeps me occupied (now reading “Promised Land” by Borak Obama.) I am a bit worried that my interest in writing seems to be lacking. I sincerely hope that by joining e circle 6 my interest in writing may continue and thus resume writing again. At the same time my dream for travel still continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment